Projects

Sunday, August 17, 2014

How to fix mistakes in your card (and a sneak at my first attempt at a Holiday card from the NEW catalog)

Here is my first card with Holiday Home & All is Calm DSP. I wanted a layered card with illusion of snow drifts and falling snow..  I cut out some of the foil sheet from the All is Calm DSP & punched out some white card stock with the 2 1/2 Circle punch.  You can see a corner of the DSP is crunched up. Layering is a great way to use DSP that isn't perfect because it hides imperfections behind a layer.





I stamped three snow drifts for the illusion of 'falling snow'. I also love this spindly little tree! The house should be unquestioned in it's inherent cuteness.


Sneak peek at Holiday Home Polymer. This is my first experience with polymer and I find it very easy to use. For the above image, I placed the house, snowflakes and tree where I want it on our largest block. I inked it all at once and stamped in one single motion. Two more stamps gave me two more snowflake drifts! Three stamps = 30 seconds = I love easy placement with polymer!







I then pulled out my Blendabilities in Coastal Cabana & Cherry Cobbler alongside my Daffodil delight stampin' write pen. I got a wee bit carried away with the Blendabilities! The alcohol markers are a breeze to color and blend with. The sensation of 'motion' with the blue streaks at the top of the card quickly turned me off. The 'snow drifts' at the bottom also have some sort of tackiness.  Oh no, I've ruined a card!

So I peeled off the paper on the bottom, making sure to rip the end. It created a 3D white spot. Much better. With scissors, I created a more gentler slope and adhered it and a new 2 1/2 circle with dimensionals. The All is Calm DSP was placed on the top of the card with a notch for the house.  I missed the Snata's Sleigh at the top of the card. I stamped him on scrap paper from the two circle punched sheet and cut him out with my paper snips, applied two dimensionals and put him at the top of the card.





You can see that flipping the card over or adding a layer of paper over a smudge is a very easy fix for saving a card. I understand that no one - me included!- is made of money to spend throwing away card stock & wasting our time.  Remember that you have two sides of the card- and a strip of DSP looks classy and hide any temporary insanity (like a Blendabilties sky, see above)



The final card is  much more aligned with what was in my head. There are two small issues - in the card that I show my friends, the card base will be pool party. That adds more of a 'sky' color to the top of the card and takes away the white wash affect thats here a bit. I will also make sure not to have this line in my snow drift. I think that I will stamp & cut out another house with framelets and put that over the line, creating a 3 D nieghborhood.  Framelets are another 30 second way to add dimension and cover any mistakes that you make!

What do you think?

Card Recipe:
Whisper White card stock for base, front (Front cut 1/4 an inch smaller than base on both sides), circle punch & snow drift
All is Calm DSP [about 4 inches by 2 1/4 inches. In the 12 X 12 sheet, thats a small portion]
Holiday Home Stamp Set
Accessories
Coastal Cabana Blendabilities
Cherry Cobbler Blendabilities
Stampin' Write marker in daffodil delight
Paper snips
1/8 silver ribbon



No comments:

Post a Comment