Projects

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pattern making for the lazy sketch artist

This is how I create my patterns:

Comparing the two hearts, you can see that the heat transfer heart has far less markings. This is because I view the heat transfer pattern to be 'less is more'. I hate being roped into 'having' to do something because it's sketched on the fabric. Embroidery is wonderful when its spontaneous- if you want more spider web roses after you've made the template, you can just stitch them right over the markings for another flower!

The first is simply a 'diagram' to remind myself of what I envisioned the final piece resembling. I normally draw upon real flowers such as these:

so that I have a clear image of how I want that spider wed rose to look. Am I crazy, or do you change your mind often as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment